Overall Category Highlights Click for moreinfo
This section presents an analysis for each of the 12 event categories as defined in the Appendix. While total ticket sales revenue and attendance increased by 31.7% and 22.6% respectively, most of the categories experienced dramatic shifts in growth and decline. This is primarily due to the impact of major tours or events, particularly international tours, in the market in any given year.
- As with previous years, Contemporary Music and Musical Theatre command the largest share of the live performance market respectively.
- Contemporary music, Circus and Physical Theatre, Festival (Contemporary Music) and Musical Theatre events experienced significant increases in revenue and attendance in 2017. Contemporary music and Circus and Physical Theatre in particular experienced record-breaking growth. Growth in these categories was primarily driven by major tours and events, particularly international tours that took place across Australia in 2017.
- Children's/Family events, Comedy, Opera and Special Events experienced decreases in revenue and attendance in 2017. This is primarily due to the absence of some of the major events in 2017 that took place in prior years.
- Festivals (Multi Category) and Theatre experienced declines in revenue, despite increased attendance. Decline in the average ticket price for these categories in 2017 contributed to the decrease in revenue.
- Ballet and Dance and Classical Music both remained steady with a slight increase in revenue.